HafenCity University Hamburg
About the University
HafenCity University Hamburg is a research-led university founded by the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg on January 1, 2006. The university’s main aim is education and research and has a systematic interdisciplinary as well as a transdisciplinary approach for its curriculum. Moreover, the university has 21% of international peers in the student population.
According to the current analysis, the university ranks at 5086 of 14,160 in the world, 1370 of 2,789 in Europe, 202 of 370 in Germany, 8 of 18 in Hamburg State, and 8 of 18 in Hamburg City. Moreover, the university also holds up good ranking in particular courses like 604 of 1,019 in Urban and Regional Planning, 2853 of 4,129 in Environmental Science, and 3155 of 5,152 in Liberal Arts and Social Sciences.
Courses offered by HafenCity University Hamburg
- Architectural Engineering
- Urban Planning
- Resource Efficiency in Architecture and Planning
- Urban Design
- Geodesy and Geoinformatics
Jobs & Internships – HafenCity University Hamburg
Jobs and internships are a good opportunity for the students to get hands-on experience. Primarily, students can work at the university as a ‘HiWi’s to manage their living expenses. Secondly, internships from Career Services and ERASMUS programs are also available for students in various fields. Thirdly, workshops for international students are a great way for students to learn new things. Apart from that, part-time jobs at restaurants, stores, supermarkets, etc are also available in the city of Hamburg. Moreover, companies like MANGO, Pandora Jewelry, Adidas, Sephora, IKEA, etc also offer job opportunities through online portals.
Housing and Accommodation
The university offers a wide range of on-campus accommodations for students through Studentenwerk. Dormitories, residence halls are available at affordable prices. Apart from that, private housing include double rooms, shared apartments, and sublets. Moreover, the average rent for a room in Hamburg is around €327-€400/month. Additionally, students can also search for rooms on online portals, university notice boards, newspapers, etc.
Hamburg is relatively more expensive than any other country in Germany. The average living costs range around €820/month. Apart from that, the students need to pay a mandatory semester fee of €320/semester which also includes the semester ticket for transportation. Other than that there are no tuition fees for courses. Moreover, the cost of living depends entirely on the student’s lifestyle.
Places to Visit Near HafenCity University Hamburg
Hamburg is a major port city connected to the North Sea by the Elbe River and consists of hundreds of canals, and also contains large areas of parkland. Following are some of the places to visit for students:
- Hamburger Kunsthalle: It’s a museum covering 7 centuries of world art and one of the largest art museums in the country. Moreover, the museum consists of exquisite collections many of which are from the Middle Ages to the present day. Therefore, art lovers and students alike should make a point to visit this incredible place.
- Reeperbahn: It’s an energetic street with bars & nightclubs for entertainment in Hamburg’s St. Pauli district. Nicknamed die sündigste Meile and Kiez, it also hosts the most famous Reeper festival which is among the largest club festivals in the country. Students should visit this street to wind down and experience the nightlife of Hamburg.
- International Maritime Museum: It’s a private museum with 40,000-items and was opened in a former warehouse in 2008. Furthermore, the museum is situated in the HafenCity quarter of Hamburg, Germany, and houses Peter Tamm’s collection of model ships, construction plans, uniforms, and maritime art, etc.
In a nutshell, HafenCity University Hamburg is a reputable educational institute with complex challenges and an exploratory attitude. Moreover, the university represents the interests of the students and is a great experience of university life.