Photographer Ausbildung in Germany: A Complete Guide
The best course of action, if photography comes naturally to you, is to enrol in a Photographer Ausbildung. In Germany, the process of becoming a professional photographer typically involves a combination of formal education and practical training.
Understanding the Photographer Ausbildung in Germany
The photographer Ausbildung in Germany is a vocational training program designed to provide aspiring photographers with a comprehensive education and practical experience in the field. It combines theoretical instruction in a vocational school with hands-on training in a photography studio or company.
Roles of the Photographer Ausbildung in Germany
- Lens, lighting, exposure time and image formats are the basic elements of photography.
- It is important to understand mathematics and physics, especially optics when setting up or using equipment.
- Different industries require different use of photographic knowledge.
- You must have an eye on equipment and structures from a proper angle when taking industrial and architectural photographs.
Some popular photographers Ausbildung in Germany
1. Advertising Agencies
For marketing campaigns, promotion of products, and branding purposes, advertising agencies require photographers to take photographs. There are several familiar advertising agencies in Germany, such as Jung von Matt, Serviceplan and Scholz & Friends.
2. Media Companies
The use of photographers to capture the visual content for their articles, features and news reports is a common practice by media organizations such as newspapers, magazines or online publications. In the German media sector, firms such as Axel Springer SE, Hubert Burda Media and Funke Mediengruppe are important players.
3. Fashion Industry
Fashion companies, such as clothing brands, fashion magazines, and modelling agencies, frequently hire photographers for fashion shoots, runway shows, and product photography. Hugo Boss, Zalando, and Vogue Germany are some of Germany’s most famous fashion companies.
4. Event Management Companies
Professional photographers will be required by event management firms to shoot conferences, trade shows, and corporate events as well as several specific occasions. The event management industry is largely dominated by firms such as Frankfurt Messe, Eventim and Reed Exhibitions Germany.
5. E-commerce Platforms
Due to the increasing number of online shopping, e-commerce sites and marketplaces are increasingly hiring photographers so they can create attractive product images on their websites. Companies such as Amazon, Zalando and Otto are among the most important players in Germany’s e-commerce market.
6. Automotive Industry
The photographer is required to shoot images of vehicles for advertising, promotional materials, articles and editorial content in automobile manufacturers, automotive magazines and car-related media outlets. In the automotive industry, there is a strong presence of companies like Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes-Benz.
Duration of year
The duration of the Ausbildung is usually three years for photographers in Germany. A combination of practical training in a photographic studio or company, as well as theoretical instruction at a vocational school during these 3 years are included. Apprenticeships shall take into account a variety of aspects of photography such as technical skills, artistic expressions, photo editing and business management to provide an extensive learning experience and hands-on experiences for those who wish to become photographers.
Specific modules of Photographer Ausbildung in Germany
First Year Apprenticeship
- Introduction to basic photography concepts and Principles.
- Familiarization with photography equipment, including cameras, lenses, and lighting
- Learning about different types of lenses and their uses
- Understanding exposure settings, for example, an aperture, shutter speed and ISO.
- Exploring various image formats and their advantages
- Introduction to composition techniques and visual storytelling
- Gaining knowledge of basic image editing software and techniques
- Developing an understanding of colour theory and its application in photography
- Assisting professional photographers in studio setups and photo shoots
- Learning basic business and customer service skills relevant to the photography industry
Second Year Apprenticeship
- Advanced photography techniques
- Specialization and genre exploration
- Studio management
- Post-processing and editing skills
- Professional collaboration with other industry professionals
- Portfolio development
- Business and marketing skills specific to photography
- Work experience through assisting professionals and managing own assignments
Third Year Apprenticeship
- Portfolio refinement
- Client management and communication
- Business Operations and entrepreneurship
- Exhibition or showcase participation
- Final examination preparation
- Professional networking
- Career guidance and transition
Best Universities for Photographer Ausbildung in Germany
- Lette-Verein Berlin
- Dortmund University of Applied Sciences and Arts
- Folkwang University of the Arts
- Research and choose the institution
- Ensure that all necessary documents are gathered.
- Application form Educational certificates Proof of language proficiency Portfolio Letter of motivation References
- Submit the application
- Selection process
- Admission decision
Read more at How To Abroad:
Want to study in Germany? How To Abroad can help you achieve your academic dreams.