Studienkolleg Preparatory Course: The International Student’s Guide
About Studienkolleg Preparatory Course
In this post, we will be knowing about the Studienkolleg Preparatory Course, whether it is for you, and how to apply. There are many international students who want to go study in Germany but are not quite fluent in the German language and maybe don’t know the process of applying for colleges. Studienkolleg Preparatory Course is there for you. While most international students study in English, they also have the option of studying in German. Whether students want to work on their German or make sure they are ready for a German university, Studienkolleg will benefit them in their journey to Germany.
What is Studienkolleg?
Studienkolleg is an institution, which works as a bridge for international students when they decide to study in Germany. The purpose of the Studienkolleg is to prepare students for the final exam (the Feststellungsprüfung or FSP) which grants them the required permission to attend a degree program in a German university. Studienkollegs offer courses for international students in Germany to help them prepare them for studies at a German university. They provide students with the opportunity to learn German basics and improve their intermediate German language skills. Moreover, Studienkollegs help students to prepare for university life and study structure at German universities.
Studienkollegs are of two types: public or private.
- Public: free and offer more general course topics.
- Private: Fees but customizable.
Some universities may not recognize certifications from certain private Studienkollegs, so check before you apply.
There are types of Studienkollegs, based on the subjects they deal with:
- University Studienkollegs: Qualifies for a study at Universities AND Universities of Applied Sciences.
- G-course: humanities or German studies.
- W-course: business, economics, & social sciences.
- T-course: mathematics, science, & technical.
- M-course: medical, biology, & pharmaceutical.
- S-course: languages.
- University of Applied Sciences Studienkollegs: Qualifies for a study at Universities of Applied Sciences.
Studienkolleg fees: Public vs Private Studienkollegs
- Public: The tuition fees are zero. But there is a semester fee of €100 – 400 per semester.
- Private: The fees may be quite high for these institutes, ranging from € 4,000 up to € 28,000 (including accommodation).
Studienkolleg entrance exam
|Course Type||Test Part I||Test Part II|
|G course||Language analysis: Students are given 3 short factual texts on different topics. These texts will contain 75 missing or incomplete words. The time limit is 30 mins.||Chart evaluation: Students are provided a number of statements related to one or more charts. Students must judge if these statements are correct or incorrect or are not relevant at all to the chart. The time limit is 30 mins.|
|M, T, and W courses||Language analysis: Students are given 3 short factual texts on different topics. These texts will contain 75 missing or incomplete words. The time limit is 30 mins.||Math test: The duration of the math test is about 90 minutes including breaks. This test portion can only be repeated once.|
How to apply to a Studienkolleg Preparatory Course?
- Check to see if you can start studying directly or whether you need to first attend a Studienkolleg.
- Inquire at your top Studienkollegs to determine the required application materials.
- Determine whether you can apply directly to the Studienkolleg or if you need to apply via uni-assist
- Prepare for the entrance exam
- Take the entrance exam
- Start your Studienkolleg studies
The required documents for admission are:
The Studienkolleg Preparatory Course is a great way of practicing your German and increasing your chances of getting into the German University of your dreams. But, you need to choose your Studienkolleg carefully, keeping in mind the requirement of the University you want to get into.
Visit for more information:
For more information on studying in Germany, contact HowtoAbroad.