The DAAD Scholarship
The DAAD Scholarship, the German Academic Exchange Service funds more than 100,000 scholars each year, German and international students get an opportunity to pursue their masters, doctoral, and post-doctoral studies at minimum cost. Moreover, the beneficiary of different scholarships gets a monthly allowance of a minimum of €750 during their studies in Germany.
Out of 188 scholarship programs available in 2020, Indian scholars are eligible for 25 DAAD scholarships, eligible candidates must have completed their prior degree with a minimum aggregate of 85%. Each applicant should have at least two years of work experience, be it in terms of field research, employment, or graduate assistantship.
Payments of all the recipients of The DAAD Scholarship are also covered for health insurance and travel expenses. But candidates must receive an invitation letter from their supervisors at eligible German universities. However the requirements, in-depth benefits, and selection criteria differ for each DAAD scholarship program, the overall eligibility and application guidelines remain the same.
For the academic year, 2020-2021 applications are closed. DAAD scholarship is a great chance to study in Germany. So start preparing your essays and proposal if you are eligible to apply for The DAAD Scholarship program in 2021.
Eligibility Criteria for The DAAD Scholarship
The eligibility criteria tremendously differ because there are more than 100 scholarship programs available for international students. Although, a few basic requirements need to be considered for DAAD Scholarships which all applicants must satisfy.
- Language Skills: Excellent English language proficiency with a minimum of score 6.5 in IELTS.
- Knowledge of the German language is not mandatory but it is highly recommended.
- Academic Grades: Minimum aggregate of 8.5 CGPA or 85% or equivalent depending upon the applied degree.
- If applying for an exchange or short-term research program obtain a NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the home institution.
- Work Experience: A minimum of 2 years of work experience in the fields of research work, teaching/graduate assistantship.
- Submit a short 500- 1000 word research proposal/SOP. In some cases CV is sufficient.
Note: Apart from fulfilling these requirements, prospective applicants should show proof of accommodation for visa insurance.
Application Process – The DAAD Scholarship
The application process for a majority of The DAAD Scholarships are in two steps:
- Complete the filling online application form and upload the documents and
- Send one copy of the application form to the DAAD office via post.
- Lets’ discuss these steps in detail.
Starting with the online application process, it is direct, simple, and takes about 30 minutes. Applications are to be considered via DAAD Portal which is open around 6 weeks before the scholarship application deadline(s). So once you have filled the application form, upload the following supplementary documents:
1. Online Application Form
2. Curriculum Vitae
3.No Objection Certificate and stamped by the previous institution
4. Invitation letter of German Supervisor
5. University Degree & Certificates
Note: The first and the last name in the application form should be the same as the name in the applicant’s passport.
After filling the form and uploading the required documents, and applicants will be directed to another page, wherein they can verify their application package and download a PDF file. Mail the below documents to your nearest DAAD office:
- A copy of the Application summary form which is generated in the portal (PDF)
- Recent reference from Previous University Teacher
- Indian students must send their application package via post for DAAD scholarships to the regional address mentioned:
Regional Office New DelhiGerman Academic Exchange Service
Regional Office of Bangladesh, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka
c/o DLTA Complex, R.K. Khanna Stadium, 1 Africa Avenue
1100029 New Delhi, India.
In a nutshell, The DAAD Scholarship offers an excellent opportunity for students to obtain an academic education in an easy and affordable way to ensure equal and fair opportunities so they can excel in their academic careers.