University of Göttingen
About University of Göttingen
The University of Göttingen is a public research university in the city of Göttingen in Germany. George II, the King of Great Britain, founded this university in 1734. Therefore the university is also popular and remarkably diverse in its research-led teaching and outstanding scientific environment in which more than 45 Nobel laureates have lived, studied, researched, and taught. The university is home to 26,000 students out of which 11% are international students.
According to recent studies, the university holds up a great rank at 123 of 14,160 in the world, 31 of 2,789 in Europe, 4 of 370 in Germany, 1 of 26 in Lower Saxony, and 1 of 2 in Göttingen. Moreover, the university has a good ranking in subjects like Forestry at 4 of 1,029 and top 100% in 20 other topics.
Internships near University of Göttingen
Securing an internship is a part of a compulsory module at the University of Göttingen. An internship should last for at least 3 months and an internship report is to be submitted at the end of the internship. Professors and seniors assist students while this internship.
Jobs near University of Göttingen
Students completing studies from here are given various placement opportunities. Students can find a placement for themselves or apply for the position in already existing placement in the University. Companies like H&M, Erber, GALERIA, etc also provide job opportunities through online portals.
Housing and Accommodation
The University of Göttingen does not own any hostels or student housing facilities, but students can expect help from the Studentenwerk and get rooms from the student dormitories at affordable prices. Renting an apartment and staying in groups is also adopted by several students studying here. Student dormitories can cost around €250-€300/month, and rented rooms can cost around €350-€450/month.
Primarily, students may need around €800/month for managing their living costs. Moreover, with no tuition fees, students need to pay a mandatory semester fee of €385/semester. The lifestyle of individual students decides their living expenses.
Category Expensive City [in Euro] Average [in Euro] Small town [in Euro] Comments
Rent 350 275 198 Semester Fees 350 200 110 per semester
Transportation 0 0 0 Transportation is already included in semester fees.
Public Insurance 110 110 110 Insurance does not depend on cities.
Private Insurance 35 35 35 you can choose either public or private insurance.
Radio Bill 17.5 17.5 17.5 Mobile 20 15 8 Mobile bill does not depend on cities. Usually it cost 8-20 euro per month
Groceries 220 200 160 Miscellaneous 78 60 50 Total [with Public Insurance] 853 711 562 per month
Total [with Private Insurance] 779 636 487 per month
Courses offered by the University of Göttingen
The Georg August University of Göttingen’offers various interdisciplinary courses in their syllabus Following are the 13 faculties that provide these courses:
- Agricultural Sciences
- Biology & Psychology
- Forest Sciences & Forest Ecology
- Geoscience & Geography
- Mathematics & Computer Science
- Social Sciences
- Economic Sciences
Places To Visit Near the University of Göttingen
Göttingen is a town located in the Leine Valley. It’s a unique town to behold and locals and international tourists mingle here very nicely. Some beautiful places to see in this traditional town are:
- Gänseliesel: It’s a fountain with a statue of a girl with a goose. It was erected in 1901 in front of the medieval town hall of Göttingen, Germany. One of the quirky local lore is that an essential part of graduation celebrations is for every student who finishes a doctorate at the University of Göttingen has to climb the fountain and kiss the statue of the goose girl.
- Bismarckturm: Also known as Bad Lauterberg it’s a memorial to commemorate a European statesman known as Otto von Bismarck. It was erected in 1904 and provides a wonderful view of Göttingen city from the top of the tower.
- European Bread Museum: It is famous for its exhibits on the history of bread making. Located in Ebergötzen in South Lower Saxony, Germany the museum is dedicated to the historical development of breadmaking and related subjects in Europe. It’s attractive for university students.
In a nutshell, the University of Göttingen is a diverse and esteemed institution. The collaboration with other partner universities is a major draw for international students around the globe and the research-oriented curriculum is well-known in the field of academia.