University of Applied Sciences of Design, Schwäbisch Gmünd
The University of Applied Sciences of Design, Schwäbisch Gmünd, or HSD for short, is a public university in Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany. It was founded in 1991 and offers bachelor’s and master’s programs in design, media, and communication.
University ranking of University of Applied Sciences of Design (HfG)
- QS World University Rankings: 601-800 out of 15,000 Web ranking metrics placing 121-160 in Europe, 151-190 in Germany, and 21-25 in Baden-Württemberg.
- Times Higher Education World University Rankings: 701-800 out of 1,500 institutions placing 151-175 in Europe, 181-200 in Germany, and 31-35 in Baden-Württemberg.
- Shanghai Ranking’s Global Ranking of Academic Subjects: 301-400 out of 500 institutions placing 61-80 in Europe, 71-90 in Germany, and 11-15 in Baden-Württemberg.
- Design: This program focuses on the development of creative and innovative solutions to problems in the field of design. Students learn to apply design thinking to a variety of contexts, from product design to communication design.
- Media: This program focuses on the creation and production of media content. Students learn to use a variety of media tools and techniques to tell stories, inform audiences, and engage users.
- Communication: This program focuses on the strategic use of communication to achieve specific goals. Students learn to develop and implement communication plans, manage communication channels, and evaluate the effectiveness of communication campaigns.
- The university’s career center: The university’s career center can help you with your job search. They can provide you with information about job openings, help you with your resume and cover letter, and prepare you for job interviews.
- Online job boards: Many online job boards list design, media, and communication jobs in Germany. Some popular job boards include StepStone, Indeed, and Monster.
- Networking: Networking is a great way to find job opportunities. Attend industry events, connect with people on LinkedIn, and reach out to your friends, family, and former colleagues.
- Tuition: Tuition fees at the HSD are €1,500 per semester for EU/EEA students and €3,000 per semester for non-EU/EEA students.
- Accommodation: Accommodation costs in Schwäbisch Gmünd vary depending on the type of accommodation you choose and the location. For example, you can expect to pay around €500 per month for a shared apartment in a central location.
- Total: The total cost of studying at the HSD varies depending on your circumstances. However, you can expect to spend around €25,000 per year on tuition, accommodation, food, transportation, books and supplies, and personal expenses.
Requirements for language proficiency
- Bachelor’s and Master’s programs: You must have a minimum level of B2 German language proficiency. This means that you must be able to understand complex language, express yourself fluently and spontaneously, and use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic, and professional purposes.
- Doctoral programs: You must have a minimum level of C1 German language proficiency. This means that you must be able to understand and produce highly complex language, and you must be able to use language effectively in a variety of academic and professional settings.
Places to visit near the University
- Schwäbisch Gmünd Cathedral: This Gothic cathedral is one of the most important architectural landmarks in Schwäbisch Gmünd.
- Museum of Design: This museum showcases the history of design from the 19th century to the present day.
- Gmünd Art Gallery: This gallery exhibits a collection of modern and contemporary art.
- Alpinecenter indoor skiing slope: This indoor skiing slope is a great place to go skiing or snowboarding in the summer.
In conclusion, the University of Applied Sciences of Design, Schwäbisch Gmünd is a great option for students who are interested in studying design, media, or communication. It offers a wide range of programs, and it is located in a beautiful city with a rich cultural heritage.
Read more at How To Abroad:
Want to study in Germany? How To Abroad can help you achieve your academic dream